Since it is a rainy season, it is but important to know how to prevent water-borne diseases. After suffering the ruthlessness of Typhoon Ondoy, there would be a high chance of a water-borne disease outbreak. Waterborne diseases are diseases or illnesses caused by ingesting contaminated water.
5. Read about water-borne diseases. Know it so that you can prevent it. What are the common water-borne diseases:
E. Acute Gastroenteritis
F. Typhoid Fever
4. Cook food properly. Avoid raw foods, vegetables, fruit, meat that are not properly cooked because it may have been in contact with contaminated water that can cause disease when ingested.
3. Clean environment. Make sure that garbage, animals are away from your drinking water source. More often, the feces of animals have parasites that can contaminate your water and will lead to disease.
2. Clean drinking water source. There are many ways to clean your drinking water such as boiling, filtration, purification and distillation. If you have extra money, you can buy water from drinking stations per liter or bottles. As much as possible do not share drinking bottles/glasses.
1. Proper Hand washing. This may be a cliché but it is the simplest way in order to prevent the spread of disease causing microorganisms. Poor hygiene is one of the major cause of water-borne diseases and main culprit of acquiring hookworms and pinworms from contaminated sources.